The purpose of the Exercise for Health Specialists to build fitness participation of new and existing exercisers at risk or with chronic health conditions through group or individual fitness experiences that meet their needs. In addition, the Exercise for Health Specialist will be expected to regularly review participant progress and be able to report on adherence and outcomes to relevant stakeholders.
An Exercise for Health Specialist has the ability to communicate sensitively with a wide range of individuals that have existing chronic health conditions or are at high risk of developing them due to their lifestyle. The Exercise for Health Specialist can programme and supervise exercise for individuals (and groups if they hold this prior competency) with a range of chronic health conditions determined to be of low or moderate risk of an adverse event according to recognised stratification tools.
An Exercise for Health Specialist is able to communicate effectively with medical and healthcare professionals about participant’s conditions using correct medical terminology and with an understanding of the standard treatment options for an individual’s condition in what is related to exercise.
An Exercise for Health Specialist will take a holistic approach to the wellness of their clients that includes advising on lifestyle, healthy eating and stress management in addition to exercise relevant to the condition, medication and with respect to professional boundaries.
Building on the foundation of the role of a personal trainer, the Exercise for Health Specialist should additionally be able to:
- Conduct screening and risk stratification of individuals at risk or with a health condition;
- Conduct appropriate testing, functional and physical fitness assessments with exercisers and interpret results;
- Create evidence-based exercise programmes for individuals at risk or with controlled health conditions;
- Motivate exercisers with controlled health conditions to adopt and maintain healthy lifestyle behaviours;
- Motivate exercisers with controlled health conditions to begin and continue with healthy eating behaviours;
- Manage communication with exercisers, medical and health care professionals and maintain professional administrative records.